Heavy deployment of forces in Aneet to quell devastating violence
AUTHOR: Deng John | PUBLISHED: October 12, 2022
The security situation in Aneet/Agok has reportedly improved following the deployment of military forces by South Sudan early this week.
There have been renewed clashes between armed youths from Twic and Ngok Dinka in the area.
Dozens of people are said to have been killed and many others have been wounded in the fighting.
The SSPDF has reportedly sent forces to quell the fighting.
General Gabriel Chol Madol, a commander providing security oversight in the areas of Abyei and Twic said 5 choppers loaded with soldiers arrived in Aneet/Agok to restore order.
He said additional 1,500 soldiers are expected to be airlifted to the contested town of Aneet/Agok.
“New forces are currently being transported to Agok/Anet airstrip since yesterday and today. More forces are coming by land. So, we needs the leaders to inform their people that nobody is allowed to go to Aneet because government forces are on ground in Anet,” he declared.
The latest report on the clashes in the area indicate that 12 people have been and 15 others wounded.
Violent hostilities between the two neighboring communities is said to have begun in February this year over the ownership of land and a commercial center in Aneet/Amiet area.
Last month, the UN Commission on Human Rights in South Sudan called on the government of South Sudan to implement the transitional justice chapter of the 2018 peace agreement in order to curb incidents of violence.