The public has been warned against the consumption of meat from dead animals in Twic County of Warrap state.
According to the Director for Animal Resources and Fishers in Twic, they are concerned over reports of anthrax among livestock in the area.
Jacob Angiik Angiik said suspected anthrax infection killed at least 8 cows in Panyok and Akoc Payams last week. The disease was also reported in cattle camps such as Wun Akoc, Atar and others last month.
Anthrax is a serious infectious disease caused by gram-positive, rod-shaped bacteria known as Bacillus anthracis. It occurs naturally in soil and commonly affects domestic and wild animals around the world.
People can get sick with anthrax if they come in contact with infected animals or contaminated animal products.
Mr. Angiink advised the public to avoid eating meat from dead animals – for now.
“To the community, especially those in the cattle camps, do not eat any meat from a cow that is dead. The best way is to burn the carcass. We also have animal health workers in every Payam to help you, if you inform them about what happened to your cattle,” he underscored.
Anthrax can cause serious complications among humans. The effects include: your body being unable to respond to infection normally, leading to damage of multiple organ systems (sepsis) Inflammation of the membranes and fluid covering the brain and spinal cord, leading to massive bleeding (hemorrhagic meningitis) and death.
Early this year, the Ministry of Health and partners confirmed an outbreak of anthrax infections among the population in Warrap state.
Two people dead from the disease in Kuajok hospital, while at least 88 patients were successfully treated.