President Kiir chaired the national security council meeting this week, where the government appealed to humanitarian agencies to intervene and help those affected by the crisis in Sudan.
On April 16, fighting broke out in Khartoum between the two rival military forces led by two generals, Abdel Fattah al-Burhan, the President of Sudan sovereign council, and his deputy Mohamed Hamdan Daglo, the head of the Rapid Support Forces RSF over a failed planned to reintegrate the RSF forces into Sudan regular army force.
The fighting since then has claimed over 400 lives, and it’s still raging despite several calls for cessation of hostilities. The five vice presidents and senior government officials attended the national security council meeting to discuss the crisis in Sudan and the recent clashes at the border of the Democratic Republic of Congo and the Central Africa Republic.
The Minister of Presidential Affairs, Dr. Barnaba Marial Benjamin, said the government appealed to the warring parties to cease hostilities and pave the way for humanitarian intervention. This, he says, will allow civilians to access humanitarian assistance.
‘’We urge the warring parties in Sudan to cease hostilities and open humanitarian corridor to allow civilians access to humanitarian assistance,’’ he said.
Dr. Marial says they have directed the Republic of South Sudan Embassy to remain operational.
According to the Danish Refugee Council, the ongoing conflict in Sudan has put humanitarian agencies in danger, preventing them from providing life-saving assistance to many of the population.
In conclusion, Dr. Marial says a committee comprising of the Chief of Defense Forces, Inspector of Police, and other high-ranking officers to investigate the recent border clashes between the organized forces deployed in Western Equatoria State and some elements along the border with the Democratic Republic of Congo and the Central Africa Republic.