Cairo promises to back up Juba as it heads Sudanese peace talks
AUTHOR: Ibasi Patricia Tobs | PUBLISHED: May 9, 2023
Sameh Shoukry, Egypt's minister of foreign affairs, speaks to reporters in Juba on Tuesday, May 9, 2023 | Credit | Courtesy
The government of Egypt has vowed to offer backup as South Sudan heads the peace negotiations between the two rival military forces led by generals Abdel Fattah al-Burhan, the President of Sudan sovereign council; and his deputy Mohamed Hamdan Daglo, the head of the Rapid Support Forces RSF because of their longtime relationship.
Egypt’s minister of foreign affairs arrived in Juba on Tuesday to discuss the situation of Sudan and to follow up on the discussion that President Salva Kiir had with his Egyptian counterpart Abdel Fattah el-Sisi 10 days on the Sudan war.’’
He was received by the acting minister of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation, Den Dau, at Juba International Airport before proceeding to meet Kiir.
“I am honored to have been received by president Salva Kiir to convey written message by His Excellency Sisi that concentrates on the current situation of Sudan,” said Sameh Shoukry.
He argued that due to the bilateral relationship Sudan has both with Egypt and South Sudan, they will coordinate and share views on a way forward to ending the war in Sudan.
‘’The situation is dramatic in Sudan and the consequences of the military activity on Sudan and its people, together with the effects that have been widely reaching to the immediate neighbors – Egypt and South Sudan – necessitates that we consolidate our efforts and exchange views on way forward to contain the situation,” Shoukry continued.
He added that South Sudan Egypt will remain to coordinate, cooperate, and contribute to relieving the critical situation and dealing with humanitarian consequences that both Egypt and South Sudan must bear related to the influx of large numbers of Sudanese fleeing the war.
So far, the Minister says Egypt has received about 70,000 Sudanese refugees at the southern border of the country.
The International Organization has announced that there are now more than 700,000 people internally displaced by the fighting in Sudan since April 15. Before the fighting, there were 3.7 million people already displaced in Sudan, IOM spokesperson Paul Dillon said.
Thousands of people are trying to leave Port Sudan on boats to Saudi Arabia, paying for expensive commercial flights via Sudan’s only working airport, or using evacuation flights.